Saturday, May 7, 2011

CLAM Issue Project: CU Student Activist & Action

CLAM Tech Advisory : Warning this information may help you!


Video media has always intimidated me.  I was in fear of my voice and movements.  My hypercritical eye, technical fears and workflow insecurities aside this is by far the most incredible communications tool available.

A word or two about the process; the class lectures, technical advice were a good starting point.  I wish I had skipped ahead (like I always do).  Craving a less-stress (think internal vs. external) induced semester.  As I finish a rather rigorous graduate level architecture degree, my project deadlines, advisor co-ordination issues plus the conflicts of having a top level athlete child- really pushed the limits.


I did not have a clue about the amount of time it took to transfer video from camera to hard drive, create, and transfer to desktop or a sharing service.  Do it immediately so you have perspective. Bottom Line: I was maladroit (loser) therefore I compensated with creativity and intense focus.  My expectation was I had followed the process and learned the techniques; however, execution takes time. I truly expected a day or two...but no mater haw much time I spent on the upfront planning each video averaged 3 to 4 days in front of the computer with all information in the can!  I learned I am slow and I blew the doors off of imovie...what that means "exceeded the softwares functionality"...direct quote from CCIT agent!

Hardware
I used or acquired the following:

  • 1 Macbook with 1.83 Ghz Intel Core Duo/ 2 GB Dram (5 years old)
  • 1 WD External Hard Drive Terrabite (Time Machine Backup)
  • 1 WD External Hard Drive Terrabite (File Transportation & Current Files)
  • Gigaware USB Headset & Microphone 
  • Canon Vixia HF R10 - (I love this it is red)
  • Sony Cyber Shot 14.1 Pixels
  • Blogging All-In One for Dummies
  • Belkin Dual Band Router
  • iLife Upgrade & suggest iWork- life is much easier with compatible intuitive products
  • Finally, I bought a Sony GPS - CS3KA Digital camera GPS unit to geocode or install metadata  I bought it off of ebay- PC based/ good idea for mapping.  GIS research data is trusted.  Just didn't find enough time to problem solve. It is on my list.
Services
I used the following services:
TigerDirect: Great relationship with representative priceless.  Just saying: The hiring practices of retail outlets do not take into account a requirement for informed/educated sales and service.  The TD You Tube channel is amazing online tutorials and sales assistance You Tube really helped. I recommend doing a little homework before you call because after all they are sales people and working to make a buck.  You wouldn't go to a mechanic without a clue... being an informed customer helps them help you.

Never underestimate the value of a work space, good chair, lighting and fresh air!

P.S. I did finally Check out a tripod from Lee Hall's Gunin Library. No amount of internal stabilization can beat it and you don't have to depend on any one else...that will be the subject of my next post!

No comments:

Post a Comment